"When good Americans die, they go to Paris" - Oscar Wilde

Saturday, April 10, 2010

the day paris and i met

When I was younger, I thought I wanted to move to London. For some reason, London seemed like this magical, marvelous place. Convinced that London was the greatest city on earth, I was so excited when my family decided to go on a family trip across Europe. We went through Italy, Switzerland, France, and England - London was to be our last stop. The stop before it: Paris.

Driving into the city of Paris, the city doesn't seem all that impressive. Like most outskirts of a major town, there was graffiti, run-down buildings, and way too much traffic. We were on a bus tour and arrived in Paris as night was falling. By the time we got into the city it was already dark. Before going to our hotel, we stopped at Trocadero, the main tourist location from which to view the Eiffel Tower. Then it happened. I remember this moment so clearly: stepping off the bus, looking up, and there she was. Yes there was the Eiffel Tower, lit up so bright that it seemed to me like if I reached out my hand I would be able to touch the monument's cold metal. But it was more than that. No, there in front of me stood Paris. I was struck by a complete coup de foudre. It was in that moment that I fell in love. There, amidst the tourists and barterers loudly selling Eiffel Tower key chains, I fell in love. Despite all that was going on around me, all I could see was Paris and how beautiful she was. All I knew was that I wanted to get to know her. And that my friends, was the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment